365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Friday, October 8, 2010

Weirdest job ever ... okay one of








Me First and the Gimme Gimme's









One of the best jobs I ever had was one of the weirdest. It was one of those part time jobs you have when your in school because the hours were “flexible” and no one else in their right mind would want the job. I don’t remember what my title actually was, but the job itself required me to go to two supermarkets every weekend and write down the isbn numbers on the products that were on the end caps and on display.



So I would arrive at the supermarket, go to their back room office (who knew all supermarket’s have these) and log in as a “guest.” I then took my clipboard and starting at one end or the other, I’d write the ISBN number and the isle number of all things on the end and all free standing displays in the isle.


Did you know that each flavor of something has it’s own isbn number? That each size of something also has it’s unique number, but that the first few digits identifies the company? It took a few hours per market. Then I would drop off all my forms at the office or via pre paid overnight air envelops. It was a great job. No one bother me.


The interview was odd. I mean imagine having someone try to explain to you that THIS was going to be your job and the kinds of questions your asked.


“Can you copy this string of numbers correctly?”


“How many ISBN numbers do you see in this picture?”


“Are you aware of how to find Fed Ex boxes?”


The training was even weirder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter