365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Thursday, October 14, 2010

Train in vain / Bella 7







London Calling / The Clash












The question had taken Kate aback and wiped all prepared thought from her mind. There was no way to hide her surprise, she was drenched in it. Attorney Shepard smiled.



“I’ve known your family a very long time, dear. You might say I’ve kept an eye on you and your brother for years. You are in Boston, leaving a most reasonable and law abiding life. Jake is living the life of a beach bum here… I … worked a lot with your father, and before he passed, he came to me with the request that I keep an eye out, should you ever, how did he put it? … Not be able to find the edge of the pool.” She smiled.


“I… I don’t …”


“I know.” The woman smiled patiently and leaned back in her chair. “I’m not sure what to tell you though…” the attorney pursed her lips in thought for a moment, then went on. “I first met your family before you kids were born. I was a young, idealistic lawyer in a district attorney’s office… I know you know, the males in your family have, shall we say, a habit of getting into mischief?” She smiled as Kate sat feeling bewildered. “It was luck that got me assigned to one of your father’s cases, but for some reason we hit it off, he and I, and your mother. Over time, it got to be me that they would call. Usually I was in the wrong state, but I’d find help, send opinions… I was there when you were born, but I know you don’t remember.” She chuckled. “Before he died he told me to keep an eye on you two… not that he had to say anything, I already was. Of course, Kate, I never worried about you, but Jake? As I hear it, he’s in quite a pickle.” She sighed.


Having slowly recovered, Kate had a long moment of irritation. She didn’t like people ‘spying’ on her, but more than that, if this hot shot lawyer had been ‘keeping an eye out’ then why was she there? Why wasn’t the woman down at jail house? Why? Why? Why?


“I see.” She said tersely.


“Your brother refused to see me yesterday.” The woman leaned forward, arms resting on the table, as if reading Kate’s mind. “I’m hoping you talked some sense into him today?”


“No. Not exactly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter