365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Five / Bella 9









America Town / Five for Fighting









Denton smiled as Kate’s form exited the elevator and scanned the room for him. Finding him as he stood leaning against a pillar she scowled, walking toward him.


“What?” She demanded, arms folded. “Isn’t it against the law for us to talk or something?”

“I…Kate, I’m not here about Jake, I’m here about us…. We need…”

“We don’t need anything.” She snapped. “It was…an accident.”

“An accident?” He grinned, starting to laugh.

“I didn’t mean… I mean… we shouldn’t… I shouldn’t…it shouldn’t…” Kate stammered.

“I know a diner around the corner, c’mon, lets go for a walk, grab a cup of coffee.”

Kate was about to snap that it was too late for coffee, but their scene was starting to attract attention. No doubt too, half the people in the room knew the man before her as law enforcement. “There is a place and time for everything.” She heard her own voice in her head and this was definitely not the place.

“Fine.” She said thru gritted teeth and started to walk toward the door, though she herself, had no idea what direction they were going in.

Denton fell into step with her easily, waiting until they were outside and away from others before he spoke.

“I really like you, Delta.” Denton spoke breaking the silence.

His words hit her more than if he had physically.

“You can’t!” Kate cried, stopping short in her tracks. Her breath was quick and she felt all the signs of the anxiety attacks she’d gotten as child rising within her. “You can’t. You can’t.” Her words rang out like a broken record.

Denton paused too, stopping to look at her, concern and amusement both playing across his face.

“Wwwhy not?” He asked puzzled.

Kate paused too, her breathing heavy. She thought for a moment.

“I don’t know you. You don’t know me. You’re the man who arrested my brother. You’re going to kill him for murdering that stupid girl and he didn’t do. And … And… And…” And with that she burst into tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter