365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Thursday, September 30, 2010

who will go the distance / Bel 6








The Long Run / The Eagles










Kate shot the officer who had lead her to Denton Suthers a glare. The officer, unaffected, looked to Denton who nodded that the door should be closed. Kate started speaking the second she heard the catch.



“My brother is a lot of things, but he is not a murderer. He is not guilty. He needs a lawyer. I will be arranging for one right away and I would appreciate if you could have the information on this case ready when they arrive. Meanwhile, I think it might be advisable to have my brother on suicide watch, it’s not like him, but this is all so unusual and he’s not behaving like him self.”


Denton said nothing, merely looking at her, trying hard to keep his face neutral. He merely sat, leaning back in his chair and watch. Not having anything else to say, Kate paused.


“I agree.”


The words hung in the air and Kate wasn’t sure she had heard them correctly.


“Excuse me?” She finally said when it was clear Denton was not going to go on.


“I said, I agree.” Denton answered calmly, not shifting from his seemingly relaxed position. “Wanna sit?” He gestured to a chair strategically placed across the desk from him, which was now strategically placed between Kate and himself.


“No.” She snapped. He shrugged and she sat.


“I don’t believe your brother IS guilty.” He began in a measured voice. “But the circumstantial evidence is strong and he is stubbornly refusing to help in any way. I’m hoping that you can help persuade him otherwise.” He leaned closer then, his elbows resting on the desk. “I’m also hoping you can tell me why you slunk off this morning. Not that I didn’t appreciate the note, but…”


Kate blushed and looked away. Denton sighed.


“Okay, let’s try this again. Denton Suthers, Chief of Police Tampa.” He held out his hand over the desk. She looked at him and rolled her eyes. He sighed.


“Okay… what do you want?”


She looked back at him, meeting his eyes now, and raised one eye brow. He held her stare until finally she spoke.


“I want you to clear my brother.”


“I’ll do my best. I’ll need your help.”


“I’ll do whatever it takes.” She said abruptly and stood. “I need to find a lawyer, he or she will be in touch with you when I do, Chief Suthers.”


“Delta…” He said softly and noted she hesitated. The hesitation was enough. “I had a hell of a time, finding Kate Ross today. And I never did find Arabella Rosanari. But as they turned out to be one and the same and arrived on my door step, I’m thinking that maybe luck is with me. And maybe, being lucky, you might actually, I don’t know, talk to me? Where are you staying?” His voice was soft, concerned.


“I’ll be in touch.” She answered and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter