365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Wildflowers / Bel 5







Wildflowers / Tom Petty









The silence was deafening as the guards left the siblings alone. In the now empty room, it was Jake who sat. Tossing himself into the chair a if relaxed, and tilting it back looked at his sister expectantly. Kate blushed.



“Well.” Jake finally said with a huff.


“It’s not what you think.” She answered defensively, because it was, exactly what he thought. “And this is not about me. What happened Jake?”


“I’ll tell you, if you tell me.” Jake grinned, a shadow of his former self, but at least that for the first time since she’d laid eyes on him. Kate still glared. “I don’t know.” Jake finally answered after the long silence that followed. Only then did Kate uncross her arms and sit in the chair across from him.


“What do you mean, ‘you don’t know’? You are being accused of murder!”


“I mean, I don’t know. I don’t remember. Maybe … I don’t know.”


“You need a lawyer.”


“What’s the point, Bel. They have me… It looks bad…”


“You can’t just give up, Jake” Exasperated her arms folded again.


“Yeah, I can. Trust me, it’s easier. Bel…just go home. Please?” His voice was almost pleading.


“I’m getting you a lawyer.” She stood. “And you will talk to him and work with him.” She glared at her brother. “I’ll be in touch.” She started for the door, angry and determined.






With a tap, the door opened and one guard entered for Jake, the other gave a curt nod and began to lead Kate in the opposite direction. In the few minutes it had been, word had spread through the staff. The woman the chief had been desperate to find had arrived, but she was not who anyone thought and this was true in every sense.


Denton Suthers sat in his office beside himself. He had no idea what to say to this woman, even where to begin. He knew that all too soon, she would be standing before him and he knew all too well that given how she’d left him, she had not intended to be found. Running into each other this was, he was certain was even worse than had he found her.


He was pondering this and the best way to handle the situation when there was a knock on the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter