365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Which exit? Which interview?






Cars Greatest Hits













I was traveling on vacation with my husband several years ago. We were at a rest stop in Jersey, making the “which exit?” joke, as its location was familiar to both of us. The joke reminded me of an earlier pit stop while traveling for a job interview. Since I was, again, engaged in a job search, my mind fixated on this, as it was prone to do.



I had certainly had had some “interesting” job interviews in my life and silently to myself I started ticking them off, musing I probably had 101 of them… though NOT a 101 job offers. I should write a book. By the time my husband returned from the rest room, the plan was formed and I announced my project.


“I’m going to write a book, 99 Interviews.” I announced as we walked back to our car.


“Ok.” He answered neutrally, “Why 99?”


“Well, I originally was thinking 101, but then wasn’t sure I really had THAT many.” I knew fully that he knew my mind was focused on employment. I had a job that I loved, in a place that was truly making me ill. So much so, in fact, that our trip home was so that I could face Endoscopy the following day.


“I see…” he smirked. “You DO realize that’s only 2 less?”


No. I hadn’t much thought of that. I had at rough count, ticked off a list of 45 or so off the top of my head and knew there were more. However, I had read his lack of comment as doubt.


“You don’t think I’ve had that many? … You think it’s a silly idea?”


“No.” He answered seriously as we got into the car. “I think you’ve might have had more than that… what’s your list so far?”






Every job I have every applied for was one I sincerely wanted when I applied. Many I was thankful I didn’t get. Very few, did I get.


My first job interviews were random. Job ads answered from newspapers for possibilities that required no or little skill, but sounded interesting to me. Later as an academic, the market was tough. As students we were told of single jobs receiving 200 and more applicants. One’s best bet was to beat the odds: apply to every thing and hope to get lucky. As a result, my professional experience encouraged me to send out hundreds of applications, hoping that lucky one would work. This was simply what I and my peers did. When I changed careers, the strategy seemed sound and the habit was certainly in place. So I continued. My interview “response rate” in statistical terms is great! I generally have been offered interviews for 25% of the applications I submit.


I don’t know why I am such a successful applicant, but have no such luck with employment. I don’t drool. I don’t talk to myself or am rude in the interview process. And yet…. Only once did I have the opportunity to “choose between” reasonable offers and never have I had immediate success with a job search.  it always has taken months, sometimes years. In jobs, my employers have generally seemed to like me, but as I have found many of them difficult places to work, I am well aware of all the questions begged.


Over the years as I have been slowly cataloging these interview experiences I’ve talked more and observed more. Much to my relief I’ve learned much of what I have deemed my lack of success is not unique. It seems most people just don't like to talk of it.  Wonder why? Humph.  Some of the adventures however, have been..

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter