365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Pirate guy






The Pirates of Penzance











“What is the name of that man, who comes in…?” P. asked. I was not actually in the conversation, but eavesdropping. It wasn’t hard to do, the conversation was happening right out side my door.



“Which one?” C asked. I could imagine her brow furrowed. “That man” was not much to go on. We had “that man” who had the great accent (and one volunteer always added ‘nice butt.’ We had “that man” who had tried to set his adult son up with the other librarian, with the adult son present. Then there was “that man” who talked to himself and asked crazy questions. Which one?


“You know, the one who was in here the other day talking about dressing up in Viking outfits and bringing his bed with him.”


“I don’t know which…” Carol replied.


I couldn’t resist. I got up and joined.


“Oh you know who she means. He has the long pony tail, and the cane he wears in his belt like a sword. Oh and he makes whistles.” I added.


“Oh yeah. I don’t know his name.” C replied.


I thought for a moment. “Richard W….” I answered. “He’s not bad. But he did try to pay his fines with a penny whistle one day.” I mused.


“A what?” P. frowned.


“A whistle. He makes them. But … He’s a blacksmith too. And a role player.”


“I see. That must be why he dresses up like a Viking.”


“Yeah – among other things”


“He’s an odd one…” P began with a note of concern in her voice.


“Oh, he’s not that bad. Better than Harold.”


“Or John.” C. added.


“Definitely. Or Frank.” I added as C. nodded in agreement.  "Though he's one yours."  She said to me with a smile.

"Yeah... that's okay though.  I don't mind them.  We similiar interests."

"I'm glad their yours."  C. said with a chuckle.

P. merely blinked at us, unsure.  Apparently she thought this was a an odd one and here we were telling her he was only slightly left of center.


“Who are we talking about?” M. asked rounding the corner.


“Pirate guy.” I answered.


“Oh. He’s okay.” She answered nonplused and went on with her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter