365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Friday, August 6, 2010

OP 9







Beauty & Crime / Suzanne Vega











“Hey, this should be it.” Lead stopped in front of a pleasant looking duplex. “See, it doesn’t look too bad. And it even has furniture.” He teased his brother.



“Yeah, yeah.” Jack rolled his eyes as a red Subaru pulled into the drive way. The man driving waved as if they were all old friends.


“Hi. I’m Richard.” The man was shouting as he climbed out of his car. He looked to be about 28, with dark rimmed glasses and his brown hair cut in a traditional Charlie Brown style. He had the distinct look of the kind of child who should have been teased on the playground but wasn’t due to his good nature. “One of you must be Thomas Hernandez, my new neighbor.” He laughed walking over to the group standing on the sidewalk. He was slightly overweight and had the happy-go-lucky style typically found in people from Northern Florida.


“Yes. That’s me.” Lead stepped forward to meet him. “Though call me Lead, a nick name.” He shrugged.


“Welcome to QA.” Richard shook Lead’s hand.


“This is my brother Jack and his partner Ally.” Lead introduced the others, Richard shook hands with them while exchanging pleasantries.


“Lead. That’s an odd name.” Richard looked puzzled. “You’ll have to tell me that story some time.”


“Sure.” Lead smiled with a nod.


“Well, we’ve all heard that you were coming from Australia. The kids are really excited about it. They have lots of questions about kangaroos.” Richard laughed. “We all have lots of questions about kangaroos… well, I do anyway.” He shrugged. “Your trip was ok and stuff?”


“Yeah it was fine. I’ve spent the weekend in town with these guys and I come officially tomorrow.” Lead nodded. “I just came to look around, get my bearings.”


“You’ll like it.” Richard smiled. “You know there’s a little neighborhood down at the bottom of the hill. A few places to eat and stuff. It’s pretty quiet here. The kids are great.” Richard glanced up the hill.


“You teach?” Jack asked.


“6-8th History.” Richard smiled. “They’re a great age.” He clearly enjoyed what he did. “Well, I’ll let you folks go. It was nice to meet you and I look forward to talking with you.” Richard took two steps towards his front door. “Hey, maybe some time this week we can have dinner or something. I know it’s hard when you’re new to a place.”


“Sounds good.” Lead nodded.


“See… making little friends already.” Jack teased Lead quietly when Richard had entered the house.


“He wasn’t always so annoying.” Lead looked at Ally, “I’m starting to wonder if you’re such a good influence on him.” Lead looked at Ally so expectantly that it took her a moment to recognize the sparkle in his eyes that indicated he was teasing.


“You want to walk down the hill and see the neighborhood?” Jack asked ignoring them both.


“No. Maybe drive by?” Lead shrugged, feeling more confident about the entire situation. He checked with Ally who nodded.


“I think we should cruise the whole neighborhood.” She answered smiling.


“So do we have a plan for the rest of the day?” Jack asked draping an arm around Ally’s shoulder as the three walked over the hill back to the car.


“We have to pick up Harry and Paul later.” Ally glanced back at Jack.


“Be still my heart.” He teased.


“Why don’t you two go do some bonding brother thing?” She laughed noting the duplicate scowls she received from both brothers.


“Actually, we could find a lumber yard and price out supplies.” Lead suggested.


“Oh be still my heart.” Ally laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter