365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Wednesday, June 9, 2010

One of the Greatest Bands Ever

   




 Hot Rocks 1964-1971 / Rolling stones







I’ve been fortunate enough to have worked with some amazing old ladies. All of them over 80, dressing to the nines, speaking their minds, working tirelessly and with the ability to swear like truck drivers while sounding like they were full of grace. I've loved them all.


Helen was a tall woman, standing easily 5’10”, thin and willowy, she moved with the grace of a ballerina. I hired her to police the front desk of a high school library: check in, check out, but mostly shush.

You might think it an odd job for an 80-something year old wisp of a woman, but Helen was tough and sweet. More than that, she had secret weapons: sparkling blue eyes and the most beautiful British accent I’ve ever heard. Who was going to mouth off to an elderly Mary Poppins?

Helen always had interesting stories. She spent at least two weeks a year in Lourdes. She visited her husband’s family in Ireland for several weeks a year, too. She always was doing something.

One day, Helen and I sat together at lunch talking about our weekends. Once a month she worked her Church’s consignment store. The previous Saturday she’d spend eight boring hours there. In her cheery accent she began…

      “I was working, at Church, this weekend. It was very, very slow. I think it because of the weather. It was beastly Saturday. I was surprised any one came out at all. But we did see two people… I met this charming young man.

He came in about two. His accent reminded me of home, so we got to talking. He was staying near by. He was very nice. He told me he’d been in the States for long time. So I asked him what he did and he told me he was a musician. Can you imagine?! Such a nice young man.

I asked if I would know him, but I didn’t. He said he was  with "a little rock and roll band." But I don’t know any of them, really. Said his name was Richards or something? With the Rolling Rocks? No, that’s the beer. Rolling Stones! Yes, that was it. Rolling Stones.

Have you ever heard of them, dear?"






2 comments:

 
Free Hit Counter