365 Muse

365 Muse : creative non fiction or fiction musings based on one musical album every day for a year. My muse. My musings. My eclectic music collection.
Welcome to my challenge.




Thursday, January 6, 2011

Summer 1







My December / Kelly Clarkson










Not only was the end of school in sight, it held promise to be the best end of year, ever. I was an eighth grader. Granted this was not as good as being a Senior, but it was second best.



Like Seniors, eight graders got special trips at the end of the year, special privileges, like no final exams, and special events leading up to a graduation ceremony. Graduation was a week away and I looked longingly at my light blue dress each night.


In fact, I wanted to wear my mother’s evening gown. Hers was a slippery material, with a black skirt and a brightly floral halter top. I saw no problem with the plunging neckline and backless exposure as it had a matching floral jacket. But no matter how I promised the jacket would stay on, the dress was a no go.


What I got was a high collared lacey thing. It was not sexy like my mother’s gown, but I liked it nonetheless. It would do. And besides, on some level, I didn’t care what I wore if it meant graduating and moving on to high school.


It was the morning of one of our school trips. This one was to Riverview Amusement Park, in two days we’d go to Toy Island. Most people were looking forward to that one, but I was looking forward to the Park. I loved amusement parks, even if I was usually too scared to ride anything.


It was a perfect day. Sunny and warm, but not hot. It smelled with the promise of summer and excitement. I was up with the sun. I’d slipped on my jeans and a t-shirt, and pulled my hair back into a pony tail and tied a matching ribbon around it. It would be one day when I knew my mother wouldn’t care that I was wearing jeans. It would have been nice to wear sandals too, but this was an amusement park. I chose the sneakers, but didn’t put on socks.


I stuffed money in my pocket. My favorite necklace went around my neck. It was gold and the charm a small mother of pearl apple. I dabbed my favorite perfume behind my ears and I was ready. I even made it to the bus on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter